Proven Drain Clearing Techniques
You can take steps to lower your chances of developing clogs, like avoiding flushing certain items down the drain. But oil, grease, dirt and other waste matter can easily build up inside your lines and can form a clog if left unchecked. Luckily, there are more ways you can keep your pipes clear.
It is strongly recommended that sewer lines and drains undergo sewer rodding regularly (at least every two years) to prevent clogs. Benefits of sewer rodding include:
- Reduces risk of mold: Clogged drains cause slow-draining sinks and create the ideal environment for mold and bacteria to grow. Rodding effectively clears your pipes before this happens, saving you from the costly process of mold remediation.
- Eliminates smells: Rodding removes food waste, dirt and other debris built up in your drain that tend to cause foul odors, making a safer and more enjoyable environment for your business.
- Detect and manage pest issues: Vermin like mice or rats can find their way into your plumbing system. Foul odors can be an indication of this. Professional plumbers are best equipped to handle this issue to rid not just clean your pipes, but to also eliminate the pests.
- Increase life of your pipes: Re-piping your building can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Regular rodding helps increase the life of your system by getting rid of the contaminants that eat away at your pipes.
- Environmentally friendly: Plumbers use a physical rod to clear your pipes without the use of harmful chemicals.
A relatively new – and popular – technique, hydro jetting pushes high-pressured water through your pipes, effectively removing all waste buildup. Some benefits include:
- Versatility: Hydro jetting clears away the toughest clogs that are more difficult to remove through traditional snaking, like grease and sludge build-up from food waste and debris. And plumbers can use this method on all types of pipes, from clay and steel pipes to resin-based systems.
- Less invasive: With other methods, plumbers sometimes need to dig a trench to access your pipes. Hydro jetting is a non-invasive option, saving you an extra task of property cleanup after the job.
- Complete cleanout: Due to its high-pressure, hydro jetting washes away the most stubborn pipe blockages caused by grease, mud and other debris that is more difficult to remove through snaking techniques.
- Just like sewer rodding, it’s environmentally friendly & helps increase lifespan of your pipes: This process gets the job done without the use of any harsh chemicals, helping to increase the lifespan of your pipes.